European Parliament to increase spending on promoting itself
2012 11 19
The European Parliament is to increase sharply its spending on promoting itself next year, including a first £9.4 million instalment for a controversial new museum of Europe.
In line for a dramatic increase in cash from MEPs’ £1.4 billion budget are a series of projects and other programmes designed to raise the profile of the institution and its internal political groupings, even as EU member states face an unprecedented period of fiscal austerity.
The "House of European History", the first phase of which will open next year, is intended to celebrate the EU’s "historical memory" and to "promote awareness of European identity".
The ’House of European History’ will be located at the Parc Léopold in Brussels
But the original plan for the museum, whose eventual cost will be £82 million, to begin with early Greek civilisation were dropped because squabbling MEPs disagreed on every significant historical event of the last 200 years, including key aspects of the Second World War. Instead it will begin with an EU "year zero" of 1946.
Despite irritation among the governments of many member states, national governments including Britain are prevented by a long-standing "gentlemen’s agreement" from challenging spending by MEPs – which makes up on fifth of total EU spending.
The non-interference pact means MEPs are free to spend their £1.4 billion budget next year – which will itself rise by £33 million, or two per cent – without any oversight or external control.
The European assembly defends the spending increases. "Increases in seminars or audio-visual are linked to the duty of the institution to allow media and citizens to be fully informed about its political activity and to control it. Transparency cannot be only a nice word," said a spokesman.
But David Cameron’s refusal to take on MEPs has angered Conservative backbenchers in Westminster who last month rebelled to inflict a serious defeat on the government over EU budget increases.
"Gentlemen do not make agreements to spend other people’s money without their consent. This is not the European Parliament’s money. Because millions of pounds more are to be frittered away on euro propaganda, there will next year be less money for local services or tax cuts in Britain," said Douglas Carswell, the Tory MP for Clacton.
MEPs last week hijacked EU budget negotiations by walking out of talks after national governments refused to agree to spending increase of £13.8 billion, including the increases in their own budget.
Read the full article at: telegraph.co.uk
Latest News from our Front Page
US Silent on Psychologists Role in CIA’s Tortures: Doctors
Physicians for Human Rights had not received any response from the US Federal Commission to their call to investigate the role of health professionals in CIA’s torture program, Deputy Director of the organization told Sputnik.
December 19 (Sputnik) — US government has not responded to calls to prosecute doctors, who participated in CIA torture program, the Deputy Director of Communications for ...
Ziolebrities: Simon Cowell donates £100,000 to Israeli soldiers to please pregnant jewish girlfriend Lauren Silverman
Cowell, 54, is also planning a secret trip to Israel soon as he embraces the Jewish faith of Silverman, 36
Gala: Billionaire Haim Saban with Cowell
Simon Cowell has publicly donated nearly £100,000 in support of the Israeli army.
The X Factor boss pledged the cash to the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces at a US fund-raiser in Beverly Hills.
The lavish gala ...
Former Chief Security Officer for NewsCorp: N. Koreans Not Behind Sony Hack, Interview Leak
Hemanshu Nigam, a former federal prosecutor and former chief security officer for NewsCorp/Fox studios, says North Korea isn’t behind the Sony Hack.
Nigam gave several bullet points for why the hack was likely an inside job.
Attack code borrowed from a previous attack on Seoul, that’s why it’s in Korean. Private hackers typically borrow malicious code from other hackers.Nations state attacks follow ...
Sony Fires Back at Obama: Actually We Did Call the White House – Several Times
Sony fired back at Obama after the press conference saying they had several conversations with the Obama White House before and after the movie was canceled.
Via The Hollywood Reporter:
After President Obama criticized Sony for its decision to cancel The Interview's release after theater chains decided not to show the film, the studio has issued a statement elaborating on the move.
The Bankster International
Geopolitical analysis, the art of explaining power relationships through the prism of impersonal geography, can be a helpful tool for observers of the Great Game – but it also has its limitations. A case in point is the renewed US-Russia confrontation. Think tanks and policy insiders easily sell the narrative that from the dark days of the Cold War to ...
|More News » |