It was a call-to-action film that came out of seemingly nowhere that rapidly went viral. Wikipedia writes: "The film’s purpose was to promote [Invisible Children Inc.] charity’s "Stop Kony" movement to make African cult and militia leader, indicted war criminal and the International Criminal Court fugitive Joseph Kony globally known in order to have him arrested by the end of 2012, when the campaign expired."
Well for all the atrocities and war crimes and child abuse that was attributed to Uganda’s Joseph Kony, it apparently is of no consequence now as Uganda and the U.S. have indefinitely ended the search for the notorious fiend.
Jason Russell’s naked meltdown didn’t stop the hunt for Joseph Kony, but a Central African coup has—at least temporarily. Uganda has suspended its 3,000-troop-strong search for Africa’s most wanted warlord following the recent rebel takeover of Central African Republic, Reuters reports. "These rebels have been openly hostile to us and following that, the president [of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni] has ordered us only to be in defensive positions," said the leader of the Ugandan force. "So we’ve temporarily suspended offensive operations against the LRA for now until we receive further orders."
They DID want Kony, but now they don’t want him.
This whole issue has been much ado about nothing since it hit full saturation in March 2012. In what some believe was an exploitative propaganda push that spread like wildfire on the internet and mass media, the entire ’Kony 2012’ narrative has been effectively shut down for all intents and purposes. Perhaps it was a primer for an escalation of the imperialist expansion into Africa that seems to now be scaling up as western and European countries deploy forces into Mali and other African nations.
Perhaps it was simply a way for Jason Russell and ’Invisible Children’ to get rich off the all-too-real plight of child soldiers, and the genuine concern (commendable but misguided) of the public.
Undoubtedly, much like Osama bin Laden, Iran’s Ahmadinejad, and Lone Wolf Terrorists, the Kony bogeyman will be resurrected when needed as a narrative to sway opinion through emotion. Resurrected may be the right word, as it was reported that Kony had died even before the video was made.
Internet denizens, celebrities, politicians, and concerned people everywhere may want to be more careful about which causes they choose to zealously promote, especially in absence of facts, and when it potentially serves a larger agenda than they’d ever suspect.
The Josh Duggar Incident Reveals The Tactics And Hypocrisy of SJWs 2015-05-30 1:46
Last week, In Touch Weekly broke the news that Josh Duggar, eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from TLCâ€™s 19 Kids and Counting, had molested five under-aged girls in 2002 and 2003. Josh, who was 14 at the time, was accused of fondling his victims, touching their breasts and genitals while they slept.
A police report was released shortly ...
15 More Men of South Asian Descent Charged With Child Sex Offences 2015-05-30 0:42
Police in Keighley, West Yorkshire have charged 14 men and a 16-year-old boy with sex offences including the rape of a girl under the age of 16. The offences relate primarily to one female victim, with one allegation involving a second who was also under 16 at the time.
The offences are alleged to have occurred between 2011 and 2012. In ...
Anti-Semitic fliers left on Chevy Chase driveways 2015-05-29 22:45
Five streets in Chevy Chase, Md., were papered with anti-Semitic fliers on Wednesday morning.
Montgomery County police are looking for the person or people who left the hate-filled leaflets on almost every driveway on the streets.
â€śThis is very disturbing. My community is definitely disturbed,â€ť said Jean Sperling, the village manager of Martinâ€™s Additions, the community where the fliers were found. Sperling ...
German court says ex-SS officer unfit for trial 2015-05-29 22:32
Prosecutors in the northern German city of Hamburg have dropped their probe into a 93-year-old former Nazi SS officer. Gerhard Sommer, who suffers from dementia, allegedly took part in a World War II massacre in Italy.
Gerhard Sommer, a former company commander of a mechanized infantry division, had been accused of participating in the mass murder of 560 civilians by Nazi ...
The Age of Disinformation 2015-05-29 21:56 I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress.
But, at the same time, I realize the instant ...